DIYs & Tutorials

DIY Crop Top with Elastic

April 28, 2013

Croptop DIY materials you'll need

Note: Missing from the materials is a large safety pin. A diaper pin works!
I’ve had this thrifted, vintage top for years now, but I’ve never been completely satisfied with the boxy shape (not the good kind of boxy). I decided to chop the bottom off and add some elastic at the hem for a crop top that wasn’t too frumpy. Here are the steps:
Croptop DIY Steps
1.) Fold up a new hem, which will be the elastic casing, leaving enough room for the elastic of your choice to fit. Place pins along the fold for precision when sewing. 2 & 3.) Sew down the new hem, but leave an opening as wide as your elastic. 4 & 5.) Insert the safety pin on one of the elastic ends and insert in the hem (casing) through the opening. Slide the elastic through the casing by pulling and sliding using the safety pin, until you reach the other end. When sliding it, make sure not to let go of the other end (the one without the pin). Otherwise, it will get lost inside the casing and you’ll have to start all over again. 6.) Finally, overlap both elastic ends, sew down as shown in picture, and close the hem opening.
Crop top outfit
Worn with: DIY cuffed shorts, Earrings by Honduran designer Lutfi Janania & Deandri Helga booties.
I’ll definitely be wearing this top more often now. Maybe with a sleek A-line skirt or graphic high waisted trousers. The skin bearing shorts are a little too much for my small town, so I’m leaving this outfit for hot days spent at home with the family.
Croptop details
Croptop worn with the Deandri Helga booties
Go on and chop chop your tops and show me what you come up with on Facebook! <3
But before you do that, lemme share a project I’ve been working on that’s really close to my heart. If you followed TWF part 1, you’ll remember my “fashion” education consists mostly of sewing courses in government institutions for troubled teenagers and struggling women. These sewing courses were less than promising and motivation in class was extremely low. This hasn’t changed, and that’s why I decided to create Seams & Dreams, free workshops with both creative and self-esteem boosting activities. Watch this video to find out what Seams & Dreams is all about (it’s in Spanish, but I can assure you no translation is needed):

I’ve submitted this project for the Creative Diary competition for a scholarship to an IED school. It would mean the world to me if you voted or left a comment on the project by clicking here.

I admit at first I had no intentions of posting about it, but I was touched by messages from people who wanted to know how they could help and be a part of the workshops (It’s currently just me with a little help from my sisters). Why not share it even more? It makes me so happy to know people are not only willing, but also eager, to help in any way they can. Thank you all!

You Might Also Like

30 Comments

• Reply Mari Bardaji May 8, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Loved the video! You’d be perfect for IED, already voted! 🙂

• Reply Style of Iris May 11, 2013 at 4:53 am

First- this crop top is amazing. I’m definitely going to be trying out this DIY with my thrift store finds. Second- what a beautiful contribution you are doing for your community with Seams&Dreams!! That says a lot about your character. I wish you the best and of course, I voted! Good luck!

• Reply Nina Gonzalez May 16, 2013 at 7:40 am

WOW FABI ME ENCANTO TU PROYECTO!!! felicidades y que sigas con tus vibras y pasion, que haci es como se hacen los sue~os realidad. tqm amiga!!!

• Reply Naomi Hosma T May 18, 2013 at 7:13 am

wow! you really look cool. I really liked the clothes …
    I hope you want to see my blog

naomihtris.blogspot.com

• Reply Tahnee Reynolds-Hopkins May 23, 2013 at 2:34 am

So creative!! Stumbled across your blog. I’m a newbie at this… So I am looking for some cred 🙂 Really inspiring stuff!

welcoming new followers 🙂

misstah.blogspot.com
    misstah.blogspot.com

• Reply Zoe June 3, 2013 at 3:10 am

The top is so cute! Wearing it with a high waisted skirt would make it more “appropriate”. I think it looks fine with the shorts though 🙂

• Reply Daniela Chimal June 10, 2013 at 5:49 am

Fabi enserio soy tu fan que bonito video y que bello que estes ayudando usando tus habilidades y talento (Que son demasiados), enserio tu dejas muy en claro que la moda no solo es algo superficial.

P.D. me encanto tu short <3.

BESOS DESDE MÉXICO!

• Reply Eleanor June 13, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Your blog is fantastic! And your style AND diy skills are amazing! You make me want to visit Honduras — it looks beautiful! Keep up the fabulous work. 🙂 xxoo

• Reply Alexa Carey June 20, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I love this top! It doesn’t look homemade at all!!!

• Reply Jacky June 20, 2013 at 8:27 pm

such a good idea! looks great <3

londonandcoffee.blogspot.com

• Reply Tallia July 1, 2013 at 8:20 pm

You are super gorgeous!

• Reply Tallia July 1, 2013 at 8:20 pm

you are so gorgeous!

• Reply luzmaría Alam July 13, 2013 at 1:14 am

Ratos de no venir a visitar tu blog, ha mejorado el diseño, me gusta
    ya veré el video, me gusta lo que hiciste

saludos

xo
    princess corner

• Reply Taty Smith August 12, 2013 at 3:10 am

Fabi me has inspirado tanto!!!!!! me da mucho gusto que en mi país existan personas como tu!!!

• Reply Rocio October 19, 2013 at 2:40 am

Wow!!!! Soy de El Salvador y dejame decirte que tu blog es el mas acertado que me he encontrado; que forma mas perfecta de hacer encajar la moda con las condiciones tan precarias que se viven en nuestros paises (que realmente son tan dificiles)- Personalmente me encantaria tener un blog, pero lo unico que me detiene es pensar que puedo no estar siendo justa, pero tu me has demostrado que si se puede. Porfavor, sigue haciendolo!!!!
    Un abrazo,

• Reply phan tich soi keo bong da July 20, 2017 at 8:02 pm

Hi there to all, how is all, I think every one is getting
    more from this web page, and your views are good in favor of new users.

• Reply visit website July 20, 2017 at 9:36 pm

Thank you for another magnificent article. Where else could anybody get
    that type of information in such an ideal means of writing?
    I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and
    I am on the look for such info.

• Reply website analysis July 20, 2017 at 10:39 pm

Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve visited this website before but after looking at some of the posts I realized it’s new to me.
    Regardless, I’m certainly delighted I discovered it and
    I’ll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!

• Reply AlfredMet July 21, 2017 at 1:26 am

wh0cd740223 [url=http://clomid.us.org/]BUY CLOMID[/url] [url=http://tamoxifen.us.com/]buy tamoxifen[/url] [url=http://sildenafil247.us.org/]sildenafil 100mg[/url] [url=http://sildenafil4you.us.org/]SILDENAFIL 100MG[/url]

• Reply scraping proxy service July 21, 2017 at 5:19 am

What’s up, I read your new stuff regularly. Your humoristic style is witty, keep
    up the good work!

• Reply soi keo nha cai July 21, 2017 at 5:59 am

I believe this is among the such a lot important information for me.

And i’m glad reading your article. But should commentary on some basic things, The web site
    taste is perfect, the articles is truly great : D.
    Excellent activity, cheers

• Reply soi keo nha cai July 21, 2017 at 9:57 am

Every weekend i used to pay a quick visit this website, because
    i want enjoyment, since this this site conations actually good funny stuff too.

• Reply AlfredMet July 21, 2017 at 4:00 pm

wh0cd417698 [url=http://tetracycline.us.org/]tetracycline pills[/url]

• Reply Charlesgow July 21, 2017 at 6:02 pm

wh0cd123798 buy triamterene hctz buy revia

• Reply teespring.com July 22, 2017 at 4:23 am

One by one they walked via, it shut behind Amber.

• Reply KennethOvake July 22, 2017 at 11:57 am

wh0cd609496 as example Doxycycline Acne

• Reply 熊本 交通事故 July 22, 2017 at 1:25 pm

こんにちわ

いつも興味深く拝見させてもらっています。

私は資格取得の勉強をして熊本で交通事故処理の専門家になるためのサイトを運営しています。交通事故専門の行政書士や税理士にになりたいのならみんなが知りたい試験勉強の裏技などについてキュレーションしています。参考になる部分があれば嬉しいです。これからもブログ楽しみにしています。

• Reply debutant guitare July 22, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Excellent way of describing, and good post to take facts concerning my presentation topic, which i am going to convey
    in academy.